• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242 on the heebspeed dyno

linuxman51

Railspeeder Enthusiast #1
300+ Club
Semi-local guy, doing some work (all the work? haha) for him on his 242.

165033236.jpg

https://youtu.be/m5nz2rGKiDc

https://youtu.be/4jUDpgjflWY

165033247.jpg

tune is coming right along. didn't actually adjust anything today, just worked out how to set the dyno up and do pulls. only took about 30 minutes, and 25 of that was figuring out that the inductive pickup was sending garbage to the dyno computer and locking it up mid-run. changed pickup locations, and boom. Had been told by several people that the dyno "reads really low", after playing with the tractor teusday night, and doing real pulls this evening, I'd say it's probably pretty accurate. the SAE numbers are 315ish and 360tq.

not bad for a 3076r, ipd turbo cam, stockish bottom end b23 (the ish relates to things purported to be in there, not rods or aftermarket pistons though). The clutch was protesting a little bit based on the odors after a couple pulls, but it's stock, so there is that.

fuel is E24 according to the ecu.

The fun days of SE's past may be coming back again..

oo. looking in the datalog, on the pass that's the black line in the picture, the clutch slipped just a little right around where it dips on the torque curve. probably going to need to turn the boost down from 22 to something a little more clutch-palatable like 17 or so.

on the first video, it backfired out the intake when it hit the limiter, I saw in the datalog a peak boost value WELL outside of what's commanded, requested, or been seen on the street, and while the throttle was closing haha. I've never seen that before, so.. good to know it wasn't something really bad.

no don't think so. but the bushings on the car are probably vintage 1981. its a wild ride even strapped down to the dyno.

Lol I was just about to say, possibly bushings. Mad caster! Maybe Ben should make a caster section on his site and just sell blow out bushings :lol:

As the donor of the engine...

I can say that we took a b23ft bottom, ground the crank, installed dished Mahle 2nd oversize, balanced, and damn I wish I had not sold that engine! Enjoy fellas!

Semi-local guy, doing some work (all the work? haha) for him on his 242.

165033236.jpg

https://youtu.be/m5nz2rGKiDc

https://youtu.be/4jUDpgjflWY

165033247.jpg

tune is coming right along. didn't actually adjust anything today, just worked out how to set the dyno up and do pulls. only took about 30 minutes, and 25 of that was figuring out that the inductive pickup was sending garbage to the dyno computer and locking it up mid-run. changed pickup locations, and boom. Had been told by several people that the dyno "reads really low", after playing with the tractor teusday night, and doing real pulls this evening, I'd say it's probably pretty accurate. the SAE numbers are 315ish and 360tq.

not bad for a 3076r, ipd turbo cam, stockish bottom end b23 (the ish relates to things purported to be in there, not rods or aftermarket pistons though). The clutch was protesting a little bit based on the odors after a couple pulls, but it's stock, so there is that.

fuel is E24 according to the ecu.

The fun days of SE's past may be coming back again..

Plus...

...we shaved the block. Not sure which head is on there now, but when I shipped it it had a 530 head that was mildly match ported.

Fun times. RR

I can say that we took a b23ft bottom, ground the crank, installed dished Mahle 2nd oversize, balanced, and damn I wish I had not sold that engine! Enjoy fellas!

it's got some sorta aftermarket casting on it, so if that's what it had then, that's what it's got now. I don't think it's been off (I certainly haven't pulled it...but it might be just about the only thing that hasn't come off :lol: )

If I remember...

We also used oversized new stainless valves, had them cut in, and if the owner received the engine with throttle body on it, it was bored out also, 100mm if I remember.

Have more fun!

it's got some sorta aftermarket casting on it, so if that's what it had then, that's what it's got now. I don't think it's been off (I certainly haven't pulled it...but it might be just about the only thing that hasn't come off :lol: )

it would be amazing to see a 100mm tb on the 8v oe intake haha. I suspect its a 60mm tb if it's been punched out, but it didn't really look like it had been when I briefly had it off to install the tps adapter. realistically, anything over about 65 to 70ish mm is probably overkill on anything except the max-ist of max effort builds with power goals in the four digit range. the Q45 in the gold car looks neat, and it's not as big as it appears to be, but there's really not much difference in power output from 80% on up (except that pulling back to 97% turns the nitrous off :-D)

Am so incredibly jealous and happy for you at the same time... you own a freaking dyno! The ultimate tuning tool. I hope your neighbors are deaf.

Am so incredibly jealous and happy for you at the same time... you own a freaking dyno! The ultimate tuning tool. I hope your neighbors are deaf.

wife said that it sounded like "your friends driving up the driveway". I think we can probably get things muffled down with some creativity... and dollar bills.

Back