• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chevy ss swap

xenos245

First time posting and was wondering if anyone has done or heard of a trailblazer ss engine being thrown into these 240's? I've got a 91 and already have the motor pulled and wanted to put on in but don't know exactly how hard it'd be to do the swap including the awd? Thanks in advance

Lots of swaps have been done. Flip through the "projects & restorations" thread to see.

But "including the AWD" is a different kettle of fish. You don't say whether your fabrication skills are in the Wizard realm, but I'd imagine you'll have easier (and better?) results by dropping a 240 body on top of a Trailblazer chassis...

You and a measuring tape are about to become best friends.

Blaserbuilds on youtube is putting a vortex 4200 in a 240.

There are probably thousands of LS 240's out there in some sort of completion. The 4WD system won't work unless you cut the floor out of the 240 and put the 240 on a truck frame.

Lots of swaps have been done. Flip through the "projects & restorations" thread to see.

But "including the AWD" is a different kettle of fish. You don't say whether your fabrication skills are in the Wizard realm, but I'd imagine you'll have easier (and better?) results by dropping a 240 body on top of a Trailblazer chassis...

You and a measuring tape are about to become best friends.
As far as fabrication skills all I'll say is I'm an 18 year old plumber..... needless to their not very good, creative maybe but I heavily lack the resources to do so first off. I do however have a few connections to get an ls for mildly cheap (in about the 7-800$ range)

What about a boat engine? My boss has a volvo boat engine laying around still a redblock but he said something about the flywheel not lining up or something?

What about a boat engine? My boss has a volvo boat engine laying around still a redblock but he said something about the flywheel not lining up or something?
The redblock boat motors (Penta) use the same blocks as the car engines, everything will line up. Some Penta motors have better heads, cams, some even more displacement. If you can't find the AQ151 or AQ171 (2.5L) then just using the cam and or head would be easier than replacing the motor. Boat motors are often run very hard and are almost always damaged from either detonation and/or corrosion.

LS swaps into a Volvo? Whaa???? The Trailblazer SS is just a 6.0 LS family engine, LS2 to be more exact. LS swaps are a well worn path now, in everything, much less in a Volvo 240. The LS is a very compact engine, if you get an aluminum block version, they're not really much heavier than the iron blocked Volvo motor is. It fits great. And don't listen to anyone who says it's boring (400 hp in a 240 is pretty fun) or easy (there's a lot of little fiddly stuff that takes a long time when putting an engine where it doesn't belong).

Volvo redblock boat motors are marinized versions of the car motors. You can unbolt whatever flywheel thing is on it and bolt on a car flexplate or flywheel, depending on your trans tastes. (phrasing!). OVERDRIVE mentioned the two most interesting versions, using parts that Volvo never (probably) put in car engines, a longer stroke crank for 2.5L of displacement, and the 16V head on the 171 on a 'regular' redblock bottom end (not the somewhat modernized B234 block that was used in the cars with a 2.3L crank).

The B23/B23x-based boat motors aren't the only red Penta engines out there, beware. There's old pushrod B18 and B20 based Pentas, inline-6 B30 types and a plethora of V6 and V8s that will need a lot of work to fit in a 240.

I'm ready to see a GMC V6 in a Volvo passenger car though.

The trailblazer AWD thing is a bit of a pipe dream, unless you're prepared to re-engineer the front suspension to fit the front axles and diff.

LS swaps into a Volvo? Whaa???? The Trailblazer SS is just a 6.0 LS family engine, LS2 to be more exact. LS swaps are a well worn path now, in everything, much less in a Volvo 240. The LS is a very compact engine, if you get an aluminum block version, they're not really much heavier than the iron blocked Volvo motor is. It fits great. And don't listen to anyone who says it's boring (400 hp in a 240 is pretty fun) or easy (there's a lot of little fiddly stuff that takes a long time when putting an engine where it doesn't belong).

Volvo redblock boat motors are marinized versions of the car motors. You can unbolt whatever flywheel thing is on it and bolt on a car flexplate or flywheel, depending on your trans tastes. (phrasing!). OVERDRIVE mentioned the two most interesting versions, using parts that Volvo never (probably) put in car engines, a longer stroke crank for 2.5L of displacement, and the 16V head on the 171 on a 'regular' redblock bottom end (not the somewhat modernized B234 block that was used in the cars with a 2.3L crank).
the boats didn't get turbo

There's also traktor engine varients which was probably something like "Lars, what do we have laying around we can bolt together and put in?"

This is not for you. If you have to ask these kinds of questions you're not ready for this. Go read some forum posts, watch some actual detailed build videos, learn what it takes. Especially BUDGET. The cost of the engine is small compared to everything else. It can be done for "cheap". but we're talking $6-8k compared to a 20k build. You're trying to pull off a 360 FS varial double fakie madonna grind before you learned how to stand on a board. Even starting with mods on your redblock and doing some simple stuff is going to be better. Otherwise you end up with a unfinished project on marketplace with half the car apart because of some wiring issue and you sell it all for way less than you paid for it.

The B23/B23x-based boat motors aren't the only red Penta engines out there, beware. There's old pushrod B18 and B20 based Pentas, inline-6 B30 types and a plethora of V6 and V8s that will need a lot of work to fit in a 240.

I'm ready to see a GMC V6 in a Volvo passenger car though.

The trailblazer AWD thing is a bit of a pipe dream, unless you're prepared to re-engineer the front suspension to fit the front axles and diff.
I'm cleaning up, come get your 3.8s or a 4.3 or a 3.4 twincam.

Back