• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Eggcrate Grill on an 86+

Nagrom

I've searched and found threads but photofuckit ate all the pictures.

Can anyone provide pictures of the brackets they fashioned to space the grill out in order to mount an eggcrate grill on a late model 240?

Thanks

I just did one on my 93 with Fcp codes… I couldn’t find anyone making the brackets anymore so I just zip tied the rear of the spring to the front of the oval hole on the core support, works great and holds well

I just did one on my 93 with Fcp codes… I couldn’t find anyone making the brackets anymore so I just zip tied the rear of the spring to the front of the oval hole on the core support, works great and holds well
That will be my back up plan 👍🏼

I recall seeing the brackets. They were just small flat pieces about an inch or so with a hole near each end. Don't recall what hardware was used to hold it but should be easy to figure out.

I thought it was a couple pieces of flat stock with a couple holes and maybe some skinny hardware to bolt the pieces to the grille. I'm not sure if most people are then using the quarter turn plastic clips to secure the 'brackets' to the car, or using zip ties or more nut 'n bolt hardware.

In the old days of 740 Turbos being at the junkyard and not having easy access to proper-fitting 240 eggcrate grilles, one could cobble together some Home Depot hardware with zip ties and float a 740 grille in the 240 opening. I drilled two holes in the bottom of the grille and used a zip tie. The zip tie first went through a nut that was through a slotted hole in the lower panel, then zip tie through the grille and secure loosely. The top mounts were just long skinny bolts with nuts & washers. I might have used the springs from a 240 grille, don't recall. The key was the long bolt attached to the center rad support bar, used to push and hold the grille out. Then snug up the zip ties at the bottom. The 740 grille was dimensionally smaller than the 240 grille, and also flatter, so it worked best if it could be centered in the opening, and pushed out a bit.

93434081.jpg

Following up on this, did you get something fabbed up? I’ve got the same grill brainstorming what can be done to mount it as closes as the waterfall grill

Not yet no.

I found a couple short pieces of 1x1/8th flat bar laying around tho.

I'll update this thread when I get around to it. Probably next weekend.

Heres mine, that way you dont have to modify the car or the grille.

View attachment 25956

Just eyeball the rough measurements, utilizes the springs too so its not ridgid.

View attachment 25953View attachment 25954View attachment 25952
I like what I see, PMd swedishK for a set of his adapters.

On that last picture it looks great, the first one looks good too but correct me if I’m wrong, you’re only putting a spacer on top? On the bottom it would still use the regular grill tabs?

The lower edge of the grill is already flush, you just need to space the top edge out until it's flush with the edge of the hood.

How is the fastener held in place at the grill end?
I chose to not hold any grudges given our previous encounter but yes both ends have had thread cut into them so you dont need nuts to counter them.

The metal tabs are just a couple mm thick but as long as you dont tighten them down like crazy what little thread is there wont strip.

Bolt that goes into the grille is was grinded down to fit into the hole, just acts like a pin, the springs do the rest.

swedishKs solution is much more elegant and easier on the paint, i just used what i had laying around and have since switched out the grille completely.

cheers

The lower edge of the grill is already flush, you just need to space the top edge out until it's flush with the edge of the hood.

Yeah that’s what I’m trying to avoid. Since the actual 86+ waterfall grill doesn’t really sit flush rather than protrude slightly both top and bottom kind of offset from the curvature of the headlights.

Attachments

• IMG_0382.jpeg
    IMG_0382.jpeg
    410.9 KB · Views: 8
Yeah that’s what I’m trying to avoid. Since the actual 86+ waterfall grill doesn’t really sit flush rather than protrude slightly both top and bottom kind of offset from the curvature of the headlights.

I rotated the tabs after i took the photos, so they were sitting at and angle until i got the fitment i wanted.

A perfect fit isnt really possible but its good enough to pass off as original.

Back