• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gearbox problems

tony210219

Power of car unknown freshly built so turbo swapped my 240 running m47 never had issues with m47s literally these ones are going non existent after 2 weeks any one advise or help me please

Literally driving down duel carage way today its just bang then no drive at all wasn't driving it hard I'm thinking power is too much now

I believe that BANG was the sound of your Gearbox exploding....Nows the time to Upgrade to something more stronger...

Im personally running a later model M90 with the Stop Ring WELDED for added security and havent had any issues...

M90 is going to need a lot of work to fit in a 240. The more common swaps for those cars are the T5/T56/TKO types but there's a lot more options if you're ready to fabricate.

M47 was never going to take much power with a turbo.
Where do I find this type gear box

Where do I find this type gear box
Buy them new, buy them used on local marketplaces or go to a scrapyard. I don't know where you're located - but I'm assuming Europe based on the use of "gearbox". In that case you might find it hard to get a late model American car to part out for a T5/T56/TKO.

How much power are/were you planning on running? Stock Volvo transmissions are not really all that strong. If you're wanting it to be reliable, aftermarket or a swap are basically the only way to go, apart from going to an automatic.

What is a t5/t56/tko I don't understand I'm from UK I'm guessing around 240+bhp not had it on rollers having too many drive issues at the moment

Since you're in Europe (or formerly Europe?) By the sounds of it, check out the welded BMW gearboxes from MKM Motorsport. The 5 speed I believe you can use with a stock M47 driveshaft and your stock clutch. Will handle any amount of power you will make with a redblock and they're relatively inexpensive. They also shift nicer than a T5, despite what T5 guys who are in denial and trying to justify having a junk gearbox say.

Since you're in Europe (or formerly Europe?) By the sounds of it, check out the welded BMW gearboxes from MKM Motorsport. The 5 speed I believe you can use with a stock M47 driveshaft and your stock clutch. Will handle any amount of power you will make with a redblock and they're relatively inexpensive. They also shift nicer than a T5, despite what T5 guys who are in denial and trying to justify having a junk gearbox say.
Do you have a link for me please

They are on facebook and Instagram as MKM motorsports. If you want to get an M90 they are in 94-98 Turbo 940 sedans and wagons. You can contact Dai at ClassicSwede.org for m90 help or go with the MKM motorsports gearbox. Enjoy the power.

This uses the M47 prop shaft.
You will also need their transmission crossmember, they also sell a shifter that bolts in.
We did this. It's excellent and their work is very good. It needs a bunch of stuff to go with it, and the prop shaft needs to shortened 20mm to fit nicely, especially if you want to use the thicker giubo.

I've sourced a m90 for moment it's first 3 weeks on the road after the build spent most of my months wages on getting it sorted lol I'll 100% bear the bmw style box in mind for future reference though as always going to be upgrading parts

We did this. It's excellent and their work is very good. It needs a bunch of stuff to go with it, and the prop shaft needs to shortened 20mm to fit nicely, especially if you want to use the thicker giubo.
Do you have a thread for this conversion. Seems like for around $1000 (not including shipping) this sounds like a great deal.

We didn't end up doing a write up. What I can tell you is that we bought EVERYTHING from them that they make for this swap. We bought the organic Sachs Motorsport clutch disc for this gearbox from MKM but had a tough time with the corresponding flywheel and pressure plate. We ended up using a Sachs uprated pressure plate for E46 M3/E39 540 and having a machine shop enlarge the center of it to clear the springs on the disk, it was only about 3mm or so. Used a Tenaci flywheel for 240mm disk (obviously). Also sent the CAD drawing to Jonas at Tenaci with regard to how to modify the pressure plate, I'm not sure what he might have done with it or not. If you ask him for a flywheel/clutch package, he could probably provide one.

The trans is very well priced, but shipping is pricey, and the rest of the parts to make it work add up. You could probably cut corners, but I'm not sure it would be worth it. I don't remember us having to modify any part that we got, it just worked the way you'd hope, and that is worth a ton in our eyes. Also, the trans is noisy at idle and low speed like any transmission designed for a dual-mass flywheel, but it shifts great, is strong, doesn't have weird driveline NVH (a la every T5), retains the 2 piece prop shaft, and has six gears. Fits better than an M47 does. The goal was to put in a gearbox we'd never have to think about again and this pretty much fit the bill.

Back