• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Side mirror removal

ibcmoore

All my mirrors are looking pretty ratty, faded & dull. I'm in the middle of the '88 244GL's interior swap and figured now's the time to get to them:nod:. I'll be painting them black again with aerosol plastic paint (bumper trim stuff).

What's the best way to remove them without messing anything up? I have yet to look in my manuals but any tricks to avoid breaking anything would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Chris

once you START pulling HARDWARE fashion a
"support / catch" for the mirror...had one on SWMBO's last
245 that took a dive - scratched the door and shattered the
glass when it landed because I wasn't smart enough to have
a "back up plan"....the mirror MOUNTING hardware had "electrolysis
trashed" the mirror mounting points themselves which CRUMBLED and
led to one of my "finer" : 'I'll NEVER to THAT stupid SHlT again..' moments

Pretty easy to do. All you have to do is remove the plastic trim triangle on the inside of the door at the top of the door card and there's a single large Allen key screw that holds it on

removing the power side view mirror of a '93 240

Advice for removing the side view mirror in a '93 240 (power mirrors):

My mirror exterior housing is identical to that of the manual mirror of later model 240s and some later Volvos - including the hole in the bottom of the mirror housing which I later concluded served as a drain only on my power mirror. Unlike the manual mirror my '93 mirrors have NO toothed area above the hole. Youtube's "Robert DIY" shows this in his excellent video on the removal of a manual mirror. My post concerns the power mirror but not black the mirror housing.

The mirror is attach by 8 plastic clips integrated into the black mirror backplate. They are in pairs at 10, 2, 4 and 8 and between each pair is a small conical alignment pin also integrated into the backplate. To begin mirror removal, push the mirror in as far as possible so that you can see into the housing behind the mirror. (I used a shim between the mirror and kept the mirror slightly sprung out to improve my access to the backplate. Be gentle.) The clips and pin will be readily visible.

The clips are tedious to remove but since there are 8 clips I decided that I could sacrifice one to get things started in hopes that getting one pair loose would ease things a bit so that the other clips would be more cooperative if I created some play in the mirror. I was right. I used a "side cutter diagonal wire cutting nipper" to nip off the nearest clip. After that I carefully rocked and as gently as possible (so as not to damage the motor components) pulled on the mirror as I nudged one or two more of the clips with my small flat blade screw driver. Finally all the clips popped loose. This took some patience so go easy. Hold on to the mirror securely and remember that the mirror heating wires are connected with simple flat pin terminals that you'll need to disconnect. In my car there was plenty of wire length so this was easy, however they were on tight so again use care in removing.

To replace the mirror in its housing simply position the alignment pins then then push the mirror back in place until you all clips "click" and the mirror is secure. (Don't forget to re-attach the heater wires first!) This whole process is a big pain but doable.

In my case I was intending to remove the faded mirror housings so that I could paint them body color on the bench. After removing one mirror and finding that there were no easily removable connectors (or maybe no connectors) inside the mirror housing that would allow me to remove the housing, I simply decided to pain the mirror housing while still attached to the car door. With some careful masking I accomplished the painting quite easily and with good results.

Advice for removing the side view mirror in a '93 240 (power mirrors):

You should update the title/ header to reflect you are mostly talking about the mirror GLASS.

The late power mirror Housing is only secured with three M6 machine screws, accessible once the inner trim cover is removed, like other models

Back