• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 140 as first car

I had talked all of those issues out with the owner and the lights do work but oppositely for some odd reason, the window is missing the clip so they taped the bag on to prevent leaking, the noise really does concern me though. However the owner said they were happy to do $3000 and possibly less on some circumstances. But for now I’m leaning towards the 240.
240 is a good side to lean on. More available parts (not to mention faster car by some margin) and probably a lot safer. Probably why your parents were leaning in that direction in the first place.

Get the 240. They'll have to pry the girls off of you.

I had talked all of those issues out with the owner and the lights do work but oppositely for some odd reason, the window is missing the clip so they taped the bag on to prevent leaking, the noise really does concern me though. However the owner said they were happy to do $3000 and possibly less on some circumstances. But for now I’m leaning towards the 240.
The 140's had a glued on wing window latch, instead of a hole in the glass and a screw. I think a LOT of them just ended up breaking off. IPD used to sell a metal latch that wrapped around the glass. You could try to reglue it, but it never seemed to last very long.

The 140's had a glued on wing window latch, instead of a hole in the glass and a screw. I think a LOT of them just ended up breaking off. IPD used to sell a metal latch that wrapped around the glass. You could try to reglue it, but it never seemed to last very long.

True, that; The Magic Miracle Of Alloy To Glass Adhesive was all out of Potter on those damned things. Especially when the lever's alloy surface, the resin adhesive, and the quarter window glass all have different temperature / expansion rates.

Somebody else came up with a thumbscrew-and-latch affair which held the quarter vent window closed..... and a lot harder for a thief to foil.

As far as the 245t goes that's a good looking car, I'm surprised it's at $5500 in today's market.

Owner says it's got an upgraded cam alongside agreeing with my assessment of 90+ manifold and TD04 turbo. Seems the PO did most of the work.

The 140 dash issue sounds like a ground is shorted to 12v, if it's working "backwards"

IIRC the IPD part is the same as a VW one that empi makes.

Well, I caved in and got the 245t! And according to the vin it’s a GLT? It even has the original steering wheel with it in the trunk (which is absolutely huge for some reason?) with a box full of parts and stacks of the PO’s maintinence paperwork. it sounds super nice and handles great, so far my only complaints are the rear windows get a little stuck on their way up and it shifts to second a little late but I’ve been told by some friends that a blowoff valve should fix that. The PO even installed an alarm system with s remote start, fun! Here’s a picture just to say I’m part of the club lol. You should be seeing me post a bit more from now on!

Attachments

• E18CA3CD-4958-40B4-83CF-D3BFDC08B667.jpeg
    E18CA3CD-4958-40B4-83CF-D3BFDC08B667.jpeg
    551.4 KB · Views: 94
Congrats on the purchase, much better than picking up a only partially functioning project that you don't know where to start with.

GLT is the trim level for turbo models, and the steering wheel is huge so your Gramma can drive it:-P (ask mine, she loves her 245t)

Well, I caved in and got the 245t! And according to the vin it’s a GLT? It even has the original steering wheel with it in the trunk (which is absolutely huge for some reason?) with a box full of parts and stacks of the PO’s maintinence paperwork. it sounds super nice and handles great, so far my only complaints are the rear windows get a little stuck on their way up and it shifts to second a little late but I’ve been told by some friends that a blowoff valve should fix that. The PO even installed an alarm system with s remote start, fun! Here’s a picture just to say I’m part of the club lol. You should be seeing me post a bit more from now on!
I am not sure if a blow off valve would help with shifting to second late, I'd check what the adjustment on the transmission kickdown cable looks like. It should be a cable attached to the same linkage as the throttle cable. The purpose is for when you open the throttle enough to warrant a kick down into a lower gear it happens. So if you are driving with a lead foot and that cable is too tight, it'll hold first for a while.

index.php

Congrats. Great pic too.

Nothing wrong with a 240 as a driver... Ran almost the same car for a few years myself. Started out as your wagon's identical twin, except for paint color, mine being a slightly darker blue. I did replace the automatic with a M46, which did help with the driveability of the car, partly because the original transmission was almost to the point of failing. I also wound up switching to a tan leather interior from the original black. Deleted the roof rack, and installed the 1979-80 Euro 244/245 E-code headlamps.

The instrument lights problem can be from someone connecting the excitor wire to D- on the alternator instead of D+. But in general the impression I got about the 145 is that it's a POS in hiding. The usual gonna need everything car but it looks so nice.

Glad you got the 245 GLT. An 85 245 GLT is peak Volvo turbo and that car is a well sorted out great driving car from Volvo. Hope you have many happy miles. A turbo car takes a bit more to maintain because of the extra heat. But just stay on top of service and you'll have many good times.

Back