• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What year did the B230f start coming w/ Oil Squirters?

Djw21a

Okay i'm kind of unsure where this thread should go so move it if its in the wrong place please

That being said i'd like to understand what year did the B230F block start coming with oil squirters. Also is their a way of telling whether I have them or not w/o pulling my oil pan off?

I don't need an explanation of their benefits or how I can install/obtain them here. I think John V has offered enough information, and for that matter help, in that particular arena. I can look that up and read about it saving everyone here alot of time and groaning.

Thanks
DJ

Usually round tooth timing belt means oil squirters, I think. If I'm wrong i know someone will chime in and correct me.

Okay guys here is where I've gotten a slight hiccup in my thought process.

Everything I've found on my car was made in 1992 is it conceivable that so was the block?. Car was sold as a 1993 940 Regina *yea I know the bitch lives in my garage and sadly she ain't puttin out:-P*. Now I do have round toothed gears but how am I to tell after I add these things to the mix? Without pulling the the oil pan off that is.

Q: I know car has the original engine so could the VIN help me here in any way?

BTW: Eventually i'll trash Regina but until then i'm just concentrating on suspension etc.

Maybe if you drained the oil and stuffed it up in there.

I thought it was obvious that the oil would be drained prior to sticking a camera uh..through oil:lol:

Let it drain for 30 minutes and it should be able to see up there id think. I pulled the pan on my 93 244 and found squirters. Have yet to check the wagon.

Supposedly if it has the little bumps along the oil galley on the outside it has squirters. They are a lot quieter at start up than regular blocks that's for sure.

No. The bumps were added in 1990 order to go to the squirter design. The squirters were not actually added until 1993. The same thing goes for the holes in the block for the crank sensor bracket. Those started to appear on the blocks in 1987 or 1988, even though LH 2.4 didn't appear on 240s and 740s until the 1989 model year.

And as 2manyturbos and I found out, not all 93 b230 have oil squirters. So... Pull the pan and check if you really care.

Thanks for clearing that up 2many.
Was it an early 93' b230 that didnt have them?

Yes. A 1993 B230FD NA. It was all original and even had the round tooth timing belt. When opened up by culberro, no squirters. That is the only 1993 B230 I have encountered that didn't have squirters in it. The point is, Volvo did whatever the heck they wanted to when building their cars and did a really poor job of documenting what they built.

Thanks for clearing that up 2many.
Was it an early 93' b230 that didnt have them?

Yes. A 1993 B230FD NA. It was all original and even had the round tooth timing belt. When opened up by culberro, no squirters. That is the only 1993 B230 I have encountered that didn't have squirters in it. The point is, Volvo did whatever the heck they wanted to when building their cars and did a really poor job of documenting what they built.

Still hit or miss there too. I have a 93, way early. Why? Vin is 93 and I have 92 glass and a L block.

Most have glass one year older than the car.

My 93 has 92 glass
86 has 85 glass

That's normal

2manyturbo's situation is most-definitely an exception to the rule. Odds are, it's a squirter. I mean I think I'd choose a 93 n/a non squirter over a turbo 93 squirter anyways, so much less wear.

It's just a 'nice to have' imo, if you're building a motor, get a squirter, if you're just throwing one in, get whatever looks good and roll.

Next time I change the oil I'll see if a couple friends of mine have a borescope I can borrow. If they do i'll check it out via the pan drain hole (obviously lol). If they don't well i'll just live with the engine the way it is until I have the money to start doing engine modifications. Until then i'm concentrating on suspension modifications.

Why just not pull the oil pan you ask?

Please understand I've done alot of work on this car already and just want to enjoy it while its actually "together". That work includes but is not limited to replacing the engine cross-member, complete lower end gasket replacements on engine, repairing of warped cylinder head, valve stems, engine front seals, plugs, cap and rotor, idle valve(friend just gave me one out of the blue), cables, and other things.

Thanks guys
DJ

Back