• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1990 745T - Exhaust Options - OEM vs. Aftermarket

R-Pow3R3d

Master of Disaster
Snowball's exhaust has finally called it quits and the pipe leading up to the muffler gave way. Debating what to replace the exhaust with now. There's obviously the Starla OE replacement and I'm generally satisfied with the sound and performance of the stock solution, but I'm curious if there are any recognized "standard upgrades" that folks have decided on. Search yielded nothing. Assuming I need to go catback for now, so I'll take whatever recommendations you've got. TIA!

Is it worth going 3" if it's otherwise entirely stock?
IMO, not worth it for a stock turbo car. Buy the best deal you can get from FCP Euro. The 3" back system, best for those seeking 200+ ponies and beyond.

For a ~ 250HP boosted engine, you can run 3" back thru the CAT (surely required in PA) and thence 2.5" aft. You will find that the drone of a single muffler will kill your buzz when driving the freeway. I added a VIBRANT resonator in front of my TME muffler and it greatly reduced the annoyance of the 4 banger drone.

The really nice bolt on cat back system is the Simons Systems as Sold by VP Autoparts, Skandix, and they sometimes show up on ebay. Mandrel bent and I would suggest buying the sleeve clamps to put it together.

The really nice bolt on cat back system is the Simons Systems as Sold by VP Autoparts, Skandix, and they sometimes show up on ebay. Mandrel bent and I would suggest buying the sleeve clamps to put it together.
This one?

Any idea what this note means?: "Information - For 740, diffuser must be machined for tailpipe."

Looks like it might need machining because of the dual outlet. It looks like other Simons kits come with a single outlet and don't have the same note.

Last edited:
No I prefer the lap joint version. https://www.summitracing.com/search...mps/product-line/walker-lap-joint-band-clamps
I like to also paste them up on the inside with exhaust sealant and that makes it really easy to take apart if need while also sealing the joint. Those are my favorite version because the nuts are captive in the fold of the band.
Awesome, thank you. Got those and the sealant ordered. (y)

Edit: RockAuto is the best price I could find for the clamps, in case anyone else is looking.

Got it installed today. Definitely recommend the Simons 024-H6 cat back exhaust, as well as the lap joint clamps dl242gt recommended. The clamps made the connections very easy. Thanks for all the feedback and advice!

Got it installed today. Definitely recommend the Simons 024-H6 cat back exhaust, as well as the lap joint clamps dl242gt recommended. The clamps made the connections very easy. Thanks for all the feedback and advice!
What was your cost shipped to PA? I may have need for a CAT back exhaust for my 745..... thanks.

Back