• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1992 B230FT Turbo Upgrade

Ccd

Looking for advice on turbo upgrade for B230FT in a 1992 940T.
I recently acquired the car knowing it had a turbo failure. I have pulled the turbo and it is a Volvo branded TD04H-13C. If I have to replace the turbo anyways, I would like to upgrade it for a moderate power boost. 250 FW HP with basic mods and the right turbo seems doable, but advice on this plan would be welcome!
I have read through a number of posts on the site but can’t seem to find exactly what I’m looking for. As I understand it, a 15G turbo is nearly a direct bolt in, and serves up enough flow for my power goal.
Can someone give me a concise answer on what’s involved with this turbo upgrade, where I would best source the required parts, and a step by step guide to complete the changeover along with any extra advice to round the job out please!
Side note: this engine is destined for my 79 242GT, the 940 is merely a test bed to get the engine sorted before that project begins.
Thanks guys!

CCD

Any of the Volvo TD04/TD04HL series are pretty much direct bolt on turbo for the b230ft with Mitsubishi flanged exhaust manifold. There are different configurations of the watercooling ports depending on if the turbo came from different years but all essentially the same, stock turbo coolant soft lines and hard lines can be made to work, braided 4an oil feed and 10am drain are easy to install. 16T would be my personal recommendation, a really hard hitting smaller turbo that makes 250 crank in the T5s in factory trim with I think about 10psi, durable and easy to get from other users or China clones off eBay or used from Erie Volvo even. I'll say this topic has been covered countless times, has to be one of the most basic and well documented topics on the forum, literally a R and R for the turbo, if you are going to do the turbo you want to match your fuel injectors like the T5 blues or whites I think 350cc and get a set of tuned chips from one of the many sellers on here, obviously your going to install a wideband oxygen sensor monitoring system to watch your AFRs under new boost and avoid popping the motor. There are angled turbine housings and straight flange ones, yours should be straight I believe but you can use either housing to match your down pipe, the better option is to go to the larger better flowing angled housing in the 7cm2 spec if possible and redo your downpipe to match. Again been discussed since the dawn of time, hope this helps and saves others from repeating themselves, Soo much knowledge here but you definitely need to do the research and make a best effort to come informed, read the FAQs and stickies in the performance section, it's all right there, Google search also will yield all this info. Good luck and enjoy the newfound power.

Any of the Volvo TD04/TD04HL series are pretty much direct bolt on turbo for the b230ft with Mitsubishi flanged exhaust manifold. There are different configurations of the watercooling ports depending on if the turbo came from different years but all essentially the same, stock turbo coolant soft lines and hard lines can be made to work, braided 4an oil feed and 10am drain are easy to install. 16T would be my personal recommendation, a really hard hitting smaller turbo that makes 250 crank in the T5s in factory trim with I think about 10psi, durable and easy to get from other users or China clones off eBay or used from Erie Volvo even. I'll say this topic has been covered countless times, has to be one of the most basic and well documented topics on the forum, literally a R and R for the turbo, if you are going to do the turbo you want to match your fuel injectors like the T5 blues or whites I think 350cc and get a set of tuned chips from one of the many sellers on here, obviously your going to install a wideband oxygen sensor monitoring system to watch your AFRs under new boost and avoid popping the motor. There are angled turbine housings and straight flange ones, yours should be straight I believe but you can use either housing to match your down pipe, the better option is to go to the larger better flowing angled housing in the 7cm2 spec if possible and redo your downpipe to match. Again been discussed since the dawn of time, hope this helps and saves others from repeating themselves, Soo much knowledge here but you definitely need to do the research and make a best effort to come informed, read the FAQs and stickies in the performance section, it's all right there, Google search also will yield all this info. Good luck and enjoy the newfound power.
Thank you for your reply! I do understand that there is a wealth of information in these forum's, and I did spend a number of hours parsing through as best as I could, but as I attempted to find the information I was looking for, I found myself “coming from behind” as many posts assumed a basic knowledge that I don’t necessarily possess. I was able to piece together a lot of information but concise answers from start to finish eluded me, hence my original post!
As well, how do I go about determining which members would have saleable items such as chips, or the turbo I am looking for? Note that I am in Alberta Canada.

Given that I am just starting out on this project, I’m I am hoping the highly knowledgeable amongst us could help me develop a cohesive plan for this engine.
Note that it is destined for a transplant into my 79 242 GT, but I want to perform the required modifications and iron out any issues while it is in the 940, then the engine will be pulled out and disassembled for inspection and any other required mods, then detailed and retrofitted to the GT.
The obvious place to start is a turbo upgrade, as the factory 13C has packed it in. I have now gathered enough info to determine that a 15G from a 94-95 850 T5 would be a significant upgrade and a direct bolt in after clocking, and that a 16T would be even better but the down pipe would require modifications. Not sure which car the 16T specifically came on? As well, are there any members with a good used or rebuilt turbo of these configurations to sell? Or is there a good provider of new or rebuilt quality replacements?
Ok, once turbo sorted, what is the next move? Once again, wealth of information throughout this site but I am finding it somewhat ambiguous, can one or more of you explain in detail the smart next moves as you see it? Should I replace injectors and chip it as GreenBudd stated? Where are these parts available from, and what is involved with implementing them? What is physically involved with chipping this car? Given that it is destined for transplant to an older 200, should I be looking at an aftermarket injection system such as Mega or Micro squirt?
Speak oh wise ones, help me develop a straightforward plan of attack! The ultimate goal is a smooth running powerful engine for my GT. It’s not a maximum power effort, but there is no point leaving anything easy on the table. My GT is likely one of the nicest originals around, and whatever is done must be reversible should anyone in the future wish to have it back to factory spec as it is a rare and collectible model. I just find that the factory 2.1 power is so pathetic by today’s standards that I find myself not driving the car much, so I want to make this upgrade to enjoy the car more. I don’t want to blow silly money, but I am willing to spend what is required it is not a “budget” build. Let me know what you guys think!

Post in the wanted section here for whatever you are looking for. A few people here usually always have 15G and 16T turbos in stock.

Remember to change that FT to a block mount distributor, otherwise it won't clear the 240 firewall with the head mounted distributor.

I have chips! (and a website!) Poking around on there might help with chipping questions and setting expectations for how the car will run. If you are looking for a more personalized engine setup a standalone EMS may be a better choice but it sounds like a tune and common mods will be right for what you are doing.

I actually also have a 15G for sale at the moment but it's some assembly required and maybe not what you're looking for.

It would probably make the most sense to use a 240 wiring harness (post 1990) for the 940 engine and later LH 2.4 engine management system. In the 940 devices are moved relative to the 240 and the engine harness is more integrated into the body making for a more complex swap. With a 240 harness only the MAF wiring needs to be moved.

The 16T turbo is the successor to the 15G and can be found in S70/V70/C70 T5 cars up until the early 2000s when the coolant port layout changes making it slightly less "bolt-on". It is a little more efficient and quite a bit easier to find, I prefer it to the 15G.

A standard engine with the boost turned up and chips will make some 184 whp, or maybe 220 at the crankshaft. This would require no turbo changes other than what's required to put the 940 engine in your GT. This is with a 13C and stock exhaust.

I did a fair amount more to my car (3" downpipe, 15G, 2.5" exhaust, aftermarket camshaft) and ended up at 234 whp (maybe 270-280 at the crankshaft). This is in my opinion more than I'd really trust the standard manual transmission in your GT to and possibly a can of worms you don't want to open.

I have chips! (and a website!) Poking around on there might help with chipping questions and setting expectations for how the car will run. If you are looking for a more personalized engine setup a standalone EMS may be a better choice but it sounds like a tune and common mods will be right for what you are doing.

I actually also have a 15G for sale at the moment but it's some assembly required and maybe not what you're looking for.

It would probably make the most sense to use a 240 wiring harness (post 1990) for the 940 engine and later LH 2.4 engine management system. In the 940 devices are moved relative to the 240 and the engine harness is more integrated into the body making for a more complex swap. With a 240 harness only the MAF wiring needs to be moved.

The 16T turbo is the successor to the 15G and can be found in S70/V70/C70 T5 cars up until the early 2000s when the coolant port layout changes making it slightly less "bolt-on". It is a little more efficient and quite a bit easier to find, I prefer it to the 15G.

A standard engine with the boost turned up and chips will make some 184 whp, or maybe 220 at the crankshaft. This would require no turbo changes other than what's required to put the 940 engine in your GT. This is with a 13C and stock exhaust.

I did a fair amount more to my car (3" downpipe, 15G, 2.5" exhaust, aftermarket camshaft) and ended up at 234 whp (maybe 270-280 at the crankshaft). This is in my opinion more than I'd really trust the standard manual transmission in your GT to and possibly a can of worms you don't want to open.
Now this is what I’m talking about! Keep it coming guys, I’m looking for lots of input from experienced and knowledgeable enthusiasts like Redblockpowered, Shoestring & NJGreenbudd! Tell me what you would do if it was your car!
So far, keeping in mind I don’t plan on beating on this thing, but do have a deep appreciation for effortless torque and acceleration, it sounds like a 16T Turbo, mild cam, custom chip with the appropriate injectors and a suitable exhaust would be a nice powerful combination that would be very satisfying to drive. If I end up making more torque and power than the transmission can handle, I would upgrade it to a T5, provided no mods to the body are required.
I’m definitely coming from behind on the injector upgrades, more info on that topic would be appreciated in particular, but please, all input is welcome!

Now this is what I’m talking about! Keep it coming guys, I’m looking for lots of input from experienced and knowledgeable enthusiasts like Redblockpowered, Shoestring & NJGreenbudd! Tell me what you would do if it was your car!
So far, keeping in mind I don’t plan on beating on this thing, but do have a deep appreciation for effortless torque and acceleration, it sounds like a 16T Turbo, mild cam, custom chip with the appropriate injectors and a suitable exhaust would be a nice powerful combination that would be very satisfying to drive. If I end up making more torque and power than the transmission can handle, I would upgrade it to a T5, provided no mods to the body are required.
I’m definitely coming from behind on the injector upgrades, more info on that topic would be appreciated in particular, but please, all input is welcome!
Your attitude is 👌 keep it up you'll go far around here with the respect for knowledge! I have a feeling this will be a cool ass project

Back