• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Does it sound like knocking engine?

ChristianFlores

This is my Volvo 940 engine. Yesterday, while I was trying to drive through a heavy rain, Check Engine light popped out. I read the codes in port 6 and it tells me it's a faulty knock sensor. So, I wanted you, dear friends, to tell me if my engine sounds like it's in its final days:

(I'm guessing the metallic scratching sound at the end of the high revs could also be a bad alternator bearing, but could just be me trying to ignore the fact that my engine could just be dead).

faulty knock sensor.
ECMs have been designed to retard timing with a defective knock sensor. A vehicle might get a pinch better mpg with a defective knock sensor since full horsepower is not used.

Engine sounded OK, but my hearing would not pickup all frequencies equally. It's not knocking...maybe whinning like a bearing.

Serious noises from an engine are deeper and clunkier sounding. Clank clank clank.

It's hard to diagnose anything through a video's sound, but I didn't hear anything that sounded too serious.

How to build a shade tree mechanics stethoscope:

get a garden hose or auto hose about 3 feet long (1 meter for communists) tape a funnel to one end and hold that funnel over your ear. with the other end of the hose put it in different areas of the engine until you find where the noise is coming from.

Something doesn't sound great, but I don't think I heard bottom end issues.

You could try removing the belts and start it up to see if any noises change or go away when the ps pump, alternator, water pump, and a/c compressor are not spinning. Just don't leave it running long...the water pump isn't spinning.

Now that I remember, this happened the day after I change the water pump. When I was working on it, a piece of the plastic cover of the timing belt fell into the gears of the harmonic balancer. I tried to remove it, but I couldn't find it. Later on, when I was finishing the job, I saw the piece of plastic was destroyed by the gears and the belt, but the timing belt looked fine. Could that be a cause of the problem?

Now that I remember, this happened the day after I change the water pump. When I was working on it, a piece of the plastic cover of the timing belt fell into the gears of the harmonic balancer. I tried to remove it, but I couldn't find it. Later on, when I was finishing the job, I saw the piece of plastic was destroyed by the gears and the belt, but the timing belt looked fine. Could that be a cause of the problem?
Probably not, worse case scenario timing belt skipped a tooth while it tried eating the plastic but that wouldn't be catastrophic. You can pull the belt off and put it back on to make sure timing is good.

Thanks buddy!
Probably not, worse case scenario timing belt skipped a tooth while it tried eating the plastic but that wouldn't be catastrophic. You can pull the belt off and put it back on to make sure timing is good.
Thanks buddy!

Back