• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

For Autocross fans. Show your stuff!

The 2024 Autocross season in the PNW is well under way. I skipped the first 2 local events due to cold, rainy conditions that were forecast. The forecast was correct. I could have raced in 45 degree temperatures with rain coming down on me while doing my course work assignment. Somehow, that just didn't appeal to me, even after waiting over 4 months to get back behind the wheel.

One of the local clubs I am a member of kicked off their season with a driver's clinic Saturday and a points event on Sunday. The driver's clinic is for people new to Autocross and those that are fairly new to the sport and are looking for some seat time with an instructor to hone their skills. It was perfect weather both days. 60-70 degrees F, depending on the time of day. The clinic had much lower turn out this year. The event is capped at 40 students with 20 instructors. 2 students per instructor. There were 3 driving schools within a 100 mile radius the same weekend. We ended up with 21 students. They all got their own instructor for the entire day. One of our members here brought his 245 out to the driver's clinic. He started running with the club last season. He was driving very well Saturday during the clinic and Sunday during competition runs. Daisywagen is his user name one here.

Daisywagen, clinic and competition photos.
Saturday clinic

WzWg4so.jpg

WiNiCZh.jpg

P6QRzb8.jpg

Sunday competition.

gnkN1Nv.jpg

Other student's cars at the clinic.

8TrZBdZ.jpg

2avGCvb.jpg

c4tGd30.jpg

A couple of shots of my car a photographer took during Sunday's competition.

j4PiYly.jpg

2qM0FPn.jpg

A quick trip around the course during Sunday's competition. I didn't bother with the Advan A052s for the first event. I'm on Michelin PS4S street tires. They are a bit noisy when at their limit of grip.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" title="WMC AX1 Volvanoes 2019 GT run 5 37.440 sec 3-17-24" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You workin' that stang! I love your more wide open track layout. We had to use a very tight course. Not well suited for the Volvo. Better for the Miata and Mini drivers that were digging it.

It is a Factory Five replica. Still, a very cool car and built close to the specs of the original Daytona Coupes. Another one the same color runs with a different club I race with in central Oregon.
Yeah, i know them quite well and drool allover the pictures and videos of the beauties :D

I just signed up for my first autocross weekend. In a few weeks I'm doing solo school on Saturday and the event on Sunday in the 945 :cool: I'm nervous but super excited!

I just signed up for my first autocross weekend. In a few weeks I'm doing solo school on Saturday and the event on Sunday in the 945 :cool: I'm nervous but super excited!
Cool. That's the way to do it if you have never Autocrossed before. The school ahead of the event will give you plenty of tips how to drive fast consistently. It's much better to start out developing good habits.

Emerald Empire Sports Car Club held their first points events of this season last weekend. One of the members here learned about the club when he stopped by for parts for his 1994 940 Turbo wagon. He expressed interest in Autocrossing so I invited him to join me Saturday and ride along to see what it is all about. Bam, hooked. He came back Sunday with his car and ran his first Autocross. Now, he is talking mods to make the car more suited to Autocross and track events. CheetoB230FT is his user name on here.

Saturday was wet, wet, wet. Steady rain all day long. The FWD cars ruled the day. It was more of a car control day than a typical let it all hang out Autocross day.

Cheeto's first ride at an Autocross. Trying to stay planted in his seat.

" title="EESCC AX1 VRC 2019 GT run 2 52.968 sec +1 5-4-24" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saturday's course without looking at the back of a helmet.

" title="EESCC AX1 VRC 2019 GT run 3 5-4-24" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sunday's course was Saturday's course run in the opposite direction. The pavement was much drier Sunday. I could actually put some power down and drive the car like it was meant to be driven. I was in the 3rd run group that started their runs about 1:45 PM. By the time the 4th run group ran the pavement was almost completely dry. Their times were ~ 1 second quicker than the average during earlier sessions.

" title="EESCC AX2 VRC 2019 GT run 5 46.978 sec 5-5-24" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CheetoB230FT, his very clean 940 Turbo and a pic of him with has lady friend that came out to the event and rode along in some intense all out race cars. She's a brave one.

iufRVCl.jpg

0CJfKv1.jpg

CheetoB230FT on course. He picked DDO as his class because you can do almost anything with your car. It's a class created by some members of our club that wanted the freedom to do any mods they wanted on their Daily Driver cars. Thus, DDO, Daily Driver Over. About the only requirement is that it has to be able to be street driven and has to have interior.

" title="Camble Ellis Volvo 940 T EESCC AX2" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I keep missing the local events for a variety of reasons.

Well, one was cancelled (they repaved the venue, actually a very good thing!).
Then busy doing other stuff the next two events.

My Miata is in the 'XB' class, which sounds about like DDO. Pretty wide open as long as it's still street legal (more or less). Mine has a few 'innocent' mods push it way out of all of the other classes and into the 'anything goes' XB. But I just have slightly larger brakes, an aftermarket ECU (and I'm not making 400 hp with it, although I guess I could). Ah well, it's just for fun.

I think the ECU by itself is enough to push me bast all the street classes and into XB.

I keep missing the local events for a variety of reasons.

Well, one was cancelled (they repaved the venue, actually a very good thing!).
Then busy doing other stuff the next two events.

My Miata is in the 'XB' class, which sounds about like DDO. Pretty wide open as long as it's still street legal (more or less). Mine has a few 'innocent' mods push it way out of all of the other classes and into the 'anything goes' XB. But I just have slightly larger brakes, an aftermarket ECU (and I'm not making 400 hp with it, although I guess I could). Ah well, it's just for fun.

I think the ECU by itself is enough to push me bast all the street classes and into XB.
XB is the Wild, Wild West as far as classes are concerned. All CheetoB230FT has is an IPD Turbo cam. That alone puts him in a Prepared class. It's really irrelevant because there is no class a Volvo 940 Turbo is going to be competitive in. It will all be for fun. He bought Motul RBF 600 yesterday so he can avoid boiling brake fluid at an event.

I should bring my PV to an event. Maybe enter it in the 'FUN' class. I don't think that's an actual SCCA class, but it's just for non-competitive 'run what you brung' stuff.

When I gave it a few tries long ago. I told them my car has a cam. They still put me in a stock type class because they knew my Volvo wasn't going to be challenging anyone. I think they put me in D stock.

Back