• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Full Torque thread inserts

foggyjames

Procrastinating since 2001!
I'm hoping to pick your collective brains a little. Do you have any experience with these things...?
http://fulltorque.com/sparkplug.htm

I have a badly damaged spark plug thread on a Renault 1.4 head (from a 1980 345)...it's supposed to be an M14x1.25, but the first half of the hole has a nearly perfectly smooth 16mm internal diameter....and the inserts I can commonly get hold of are M16 outside thread.

Do you think this product will do the job for me? Any input muchly appreciated...!

cheers

James

seem a little similar to Timeserts which are a great product.

The anodized aluminum insert would cause some concern due anodizing not being electrically conductive, you want a good path for the spark, but I am sure the anodizing gets compromised when installing the insert

They work, the Ford toolset for the newer motors that blow plugs out of the heads is supposed to make it easy. 'Ford plug tool' on your favorite auction site.

Thanks guys. As far as I can tell, it's a Timesert product I've been using previously - a thin steel tube...but the damage here requires something thicker. I was about to get something custom made when this caught my eye.

I'll certainly try that search ;-)

cheers

James

I got a price back from Full-Torque's European distributor for a kit (inserts plus installation tools)....$880 plus shipping. Back to plan A...

Well maybe...that Big-sert link is very interesting. It's pretty much the same thing as the Full-Torque product, but under half the price for the whole kit. If I can get the hole cut to M18x1.5 by a machine shop here, I could just buy the inserts. I'll definitely look into that...many thanks for that, Wennstroma :)

cheers

James

Back