• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear Wheel Bearing replacement. Which should I buy?

It's cool that they brought them back. I remember trying to find another source for them when ipd stopped selling them and not having any luck.

I know nothing of 7/9 series cars, but if they use the same wheel bearing than it should for.

Some notes I’ve learned since going down this path:
- You need to space the retaining plate 0.075-0.080” because the bearing is slightly wider overall than the oe bearing plus outer seal. Even though the bearing is wider, where it located on the axle and housing is the same so the brakes and everything line up. I did come quick CAD and made a stainless steel metal spacer plate for the 240 rear axle. I have spares of they’ll fit on the 7/9 axle. You could also just use some washers stacked between the plate and the axle housing.

- The bearing retaining ring that comes in the kit is way larger than the original one, and will barely fit inside the axle tube. It most definitely won’t fit inside the axle tube if you have the inner seal in place. Good news: you aren’t supposed to use the inner seal, you can reuse the old retaining ring, or you can grind/sand the OD of the ring in the kit down so it clears.

- I haven’t raced the car with the bearings on yet, but so far they seem like they’ll work great.
Yeah, the bearing is the same so it should work.

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure I understand all you said, it will probably be clearer when I take it apart. In all the races I have done, I have never touched the rear wheel bearings. Front bearings only a couple times (also same as 240 on my model). Volvo designed them well.

When using the Green bearings culberro linked to you need to put a spacer between the axle housing and the bearing retaining flange since the bearing is a little taller than the original bearing and seal. Ipd included washers for this purpose when they used to sell them.

Both the original bearing and the Green bearing use a retaining ring that presses onto the axle after the bearing is installed to ensure the axle doesn't come off. The inner seal, if used would ride on this ring. The Green bearing retaining ring has a larger od than the original so it won't work with the inner seal.

Back