• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Speedometer connection problems 93 240

pisco

Cruisin' in my Longboat.
3-1-1 error. The connection to my speedo sporaticaly gets loose & the check engine light comes on. If I'm below 30 while this happens the car shuts off unless I can get into neutral & gas it quickly. I've taken the cluster out and pulled, cleaned & checked the connections multiple times but it keeps occurring. I have searched my tiny brain to no avail for a surefire way to get this sucker to stay connected. Tape got loose in the heat & didn't work. Is there some trick to it? The trip reset is also broken but I can't see how this would contribute to the problem.

I'm not sure about 240s but I have a 740. It has the sensor in the rearend. If your has that then the wires might be grounding out back there. Mine had a connector that was plastic but it was safty wired together with metal wire from the factory. The metal wire had rubbed through the insulation on the wire and the speedo quit and I got an ABS light and a check engine light. It comes from the factory that way because the two I got out of the Pull-a-part yard where the same way.

Do you not have one of those white casing things by Volvo that snaps OVER the speedo connector to hold it on tightly? I picked one up at a local junkyard.

speedo connector

You can crimp the connector slightly and they usually stay on after that as suggested by TFT. However, from the factory there is supposed to be a plastic latch that snaps over the connector and holds it on. I would get that since you seem to have a troublesome one. Usually they stay on fine without the latch on there.

I have an extra "latch" for the speedometer connector. It's a small white case that slides onto the board where the connector goes. The Volvo part number is: 1323025. That last number might be a 6, but I think it's 5. My eyes aren't as great as they used to be. This part is SMALL too, so the print is tiny. These things are GREAT, and they do hold the speedo connector in place snugly! Good luck! ~~ Marty

Hi everyone, sorry to dig up an old post, but here's my issue:
A few weeks ago a litle white piece fell into my lap while I was driving. I couldn't figure out where it came from, and nothing seemed wrong with the car, so the piece has been sitting on my desk at home. Over this past weekenf I drove a few hundred miles to pick up a couple engines for another car, and while trying to navigate by the odometer, I noticed it wasnt moving. Tonight I googled "volvo" and "1323025", and got this thread.
So my question is this:
My speedo works, my odo does not. Any chance this is the issue?
The car is an 88 240DL

Sounds to me like you might have found your problem! If this is your first visit to Tbricks try using the search function to check out other possible odometer issues.

Gotta love Google.

I have a '88 240 wagon so while "Speedo" is the general topic, could anyone help me. I need to run new wires from the sensor at the rear end to the Speedo or preferably to the harness. Identifying exactly which wires, color, and where they run. Also does it matter in which order the wires fit into the Sensor. As to why the wires are not there is a long story. Thanks in advance

Your speedo should have power coming from ignition (red/black) and earth (black) and signal (blue) coming from the sensor. On the back of the speedo make sure power goes to "+", earth to "upside down T" and signal to "G". I can't remember which side is which on the sensor, but you wont stuff the sensor getting the earth and signal wires the wrong way around so trial and error mate.

No, that is not your problem. If your speedo works and the odometer doesn't, the odometer drive gear is broken. So common it has been beat to death here on this board. Either find another speedo head, or get the kit from IPD and fix the one you have.

More Speedo

Your speedo should have power coming from ignition (red/black) and earth (black) and signal (blue) coming from the sensor. On the back of the speedo make sure power goes to "+", earth to "upside down T" and signal to "G". I can't remember which side is which on the sensor, but you wont stuff the sensor getting the earth and signal wires the wrong way around so trial and error mate.

Ok on all that, I'm pretty sure the Instruments and panel are connected OK but now need to pick up the sensor wires from the loom or harness(by colour or whatever) so I can extend them to the sensor. Sorry if I'm a bit thick, but I'm a Tasmanian. Cheers.

Do you not have one of those white casing things by Volvo that snaps OVER the speedo connector to hold it on tightly? I picked one up at a local junkyard.
I have an extra "latch" for the speedometer connector. It's a small white case that slides onto the board where the connector goes. The Volvo part number is: 1323025. That last number might be a 6, but I think it's 5. My eyes aren't as great as they used to be. This part is SMALL too, so the print is tiny. These things are GREAT, and they do hold the speedo connector in place snugly! Good luck! ~~ Marty
Marty, fro 15 years i the future (May 3, 2024) I need that little white plastic piece you wisely snagged at the junk yard.
92 240 . I'm fixing a tach to my center cluster and snapped the tiny plastic "hold-it-in" piece. Still alive? Still have it? Grateful. Eager to pay the shipping etc. Doug Day 8 Trails End Rockport, ME 04856. part # 1323025.

Back