• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Stiff shift from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd

Install the spare transmission and then check if the issue is still present.
The catch there is that I don't have a shifter that fits an early m46 and have no idea if it works. Nor do I really have the time to swap gearboxes as an experiment.

Did you get a definitive drag check? It really sounds like just a touch of drag, and when everything is up to temp, not as much. Tight bearings tend to free up when there’s a bit of heat around.

A very slight drag will make if feel like there’s no more synchro, but might not grind.
Yep, just did it. No wheel turning in any gear with the clutch in and parking break released.

FWIW - I've used metal/plastic input shafts inserted into clutch-disc and pilot bearing/bushing when tightening down a pressure plate. I bought one of these tools, Clutch Pilot Tool Set, but I don't recall using it.
Yeah, they include alignment tools with almost all clutch kits. On my M40/41 cars I use an old input shaft from a junk gearbox as an alignment tool.

If it were me, I’d start at the shifter, linkage, etc then work in from there. Looking for wear/scratches that are new. Also where the shift rails enter the case, you could coat them with dykem or sharpie to see what has extra wear.

Well, the thing is coming out. Seems like I can get my hands on an early shifter to use with my spare, we'll see if that one even works. Probably should replace O rings for the OD while I am at it.

Back