• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Whiteblock headgasket

Not a Volvo person

I bought a 99 v70r a month ago. The engine in it was overheated but it came with a JY engine with 140k on it to replace it. The engine sat for a couple years, the PO who never got around to replacing it. I already have to replace the timing belt and am going to do a few other seals while it's out.

Should I replace the headgasket while it's on the stand or leave it be? On other cars I would wouldn't pull the head, but since I am new to the volvo world I just want to see what those more experienced would recommend while it's easy to get to.

Thank you

Yes and put some maxpeedingrods in it
Thank you, I was mistaken it is a MY 2000 car with a b5244t. I have been trying to find more information and can't find a direct answer on which rod is the correct length. Is the 2.4l a 139.5mm rod or the 143mm rod length? I can't find much on these and don't know if the use a 2.3l rod with the 2.5l bore or the other way around. Or if it is it's own animal.
And did the 2000's have the stronger rod design?

Thank you again

Are you going to bump the hp on this engine a lot? Because the stock stuff handles enough power for a fun daily driver. You're going to need cam locking tool and the cam hold down tool. Not sure if that is the correct term. It's a tool to hold the valve cover down for installation because it also holds the cams. I'd also replace the water pump, cam seals, and service the PCV system while you have the engine easy to work on.

The B5244T2 in a 00R uses 139.5mm rods that are the same any other whiteblock used in the 98-00 S/V70s.

Are you going to bump the hp on this engine a lot? Because the stock stuff handles enough power for a fun daily driver. You're going to need cam locking tool and the cam hold down tool. Not sure if that is the correct term. It's a tool to hold the valve cover down for installation because it also holds the cams. I'd also replace the water pump, cam seals, and service the PCV system while you have the engine easy to work on.
Not at all. It will be a stock run around car to enjoy. I just want to take care of major known issues before it goes to help it stick around a while.

I have a new water pump on it and a new pcv setup for it. I have the cam locking tool but forgot to get the cam hold down.

Thank you

The B5244T2 in a 00R uses 139.5mm rods that are the same any other whiteblock used in the 98-00 S/V70s.
Thank you. I saw multiple length rods when looking into it and got lost in a rabbit hole it seems. Are the 143mm rods for the later white blocks then?

Unless you’re having issues I don’t see why you would need to replace it
Thank you, No issues that I know of it was supposed to be a known runner when the PO bought it from the yard. I just want this engine to last so I can enjoy the car.

Back