• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 242 GT. A reasonable project.

Thank, with a couple 45? Bends it could come up tighter against the floor. I forget how tight the downpipe fit but if it hangs lower than it needs it it's hard to get it right after that. On a low car a nice tucked up exhaust is key, and his car is pretty low.

I spent quite a few hours playing with the exhaust fitment when I built the system on my Focus (which is significantly lowered as well). Doing it right sure does save a LOT of worries when clearing speed bumps and expansion joints.

Nice job on the packaging of things, well thought out and it shows. Where's the drain line from the pro-vent go?

Thanks, Mike! I really appreciate that. I spent several hours trying to get the packaging to work out until I had things in a state I was happy with. A bit of a pain sometimes, but the result is definitely worth it to me--especially when I have to pull things apart again (which it seems I always do).

The drain line from the provent goes to a temporary reservoir below the radiator support. I'd love to have it draining back in the block, but haven't worked out a way to do that without at least dropping the pan to weld a bung on it. Someday.

Dang, Tom's just racking up the awards. Looking good.

Thanks, Dustin. These awards make the class loss to you at Midsommar sting a little bit less. :-P

Funny you mention the exhaust in a negative light, it's one of my favorite parts of your car! This 242 serves as an inspiration to many, including me.

It's merely an aesthetic thing to me. Thank you! I keep trying to make it better, and I think it's slowly getting there.

A couple other parts...

E21 recaro seat webbing kit came in. Allegedly this will work with my VW mkII recaro trophy seats as well.
Uos9u8RDpaMA7yqsxdHMdMVgJIIZA_VyCAmqL4hc5uk=s768-no

Borrowed some S60R green giants to try out. Thanks Justus!
KOko0Vk6iyi4ooUXaK-Jd0bu0lELhqQikNdXVnpcsO0=s768-no

Getting ready to drop a trutrac in the rear end. Bought this 912A588 while Eaton was offering a $50 rebate last month, and also have an aluminum diff cover to use.
8kUETT7rjLbx3kKkOaTaMKbFH8Qr28xyPfyKLK5JjYQ=s768-no

I've done a bunch of little things lately, but I'm a bit tired, so I'll just start with the most interesting part. Today I took the car to a dyno day.

242_dyno-morning.jpg

The car ended up putting down 246whp and 268wtq. I was a little disappointed, until I asked one of the operators to watch the boost gauge, and then found out it was running 16psi instead of the 20psi I've been running on the street. In addition, it was running super rich (AFRs were off the chart which bottoms out at 10:1 on both dyno readout and my wideband).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gsifPQZfMa8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_1861.jpg

Time for more tuning, and more boost.

And of course more sorting. The sorting never ends.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump your thread, but did you perform the 6-panel taillight conversion, or was that already done when you purchased the car? I'm looking into doing that, myself.

missed the dyno before, had much luck getting the tune walked in?

They salted the roads out here this morning, driving season is over :-(

Sorry to bump your thread, but did you perform the 6-panel taillight conversion, or was that already done when you purchased the car? I'm looking into doing that, myself.

I did not, but here's a post earlier in the thread explaining that. Keep the 5 panels! I wish this still had them, personally.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=4923113&postcount=310

missed the dyno before, had much luck getting the tune walked in?

They salted the roads out here this morning, driving season is over :-(

Turbotankshane did some ostrich tuning for me and managed to make a lot of progress on the tune, but I never went back to the dyno. But yeah, we got snow and salt, so the driving season is over :-(.

That said, I have some pretty big changes coming soon with this car. I'll post more when things are more certain. :ohjoy:

One smaller update is that the trutrac is closer to being ready for installation. Jacob and I had some tone rings cut on a waterjet, so that's pretty exciting.

UYJlDYkzQDsCIeNHR32IljttA6yqR3_akp8Soi0h7_NHXtl7tHrR9Pk0iCbSw9nOgqp3b2gOy3d2nyAn27Li0W6OY9ZVY5xjW2JyFlcVpsYZi5ZQ-xzhmiv6tS89VOCCUPshz-ix83P5VFeKTl0XM8mLym3BqDsABSkDjFBC3pGQsxcYbRzd4z4cqfLRZZOZQOSI6-psk3RCfyGm8PQHW8Mn2FpaVP9MM19FLnx4-lIfSRhc2fmWpmF9nDltPYbK-02oS9jZk6RsGqwnMa5pYf3zLCJlt3f_4efUWJd6EcQ8t0hK_GnLkmmLtAaZFvT-bAvlW1lqQ_jHCt-x86F1yR7NF3WL1TGtgaW3jezwLhAsg0zjBXrwdfxvr9iqvKiA06NGAS2KDpEHbNiK_rKjLE7E1nv4BfglB1HlB7aRXNx0Z2n2det2ZmLVkTUrLR5vhatZq6ynuZRzzwctCZ6QSEr9F8nIiqgxlcYzR_ZDtXwvKcNKDX9aF5ipMcwcKFQgVdi_piMp1LQYIp8aVij9eDrgdGxIKn2YB5XySQfECTzj=s768-no

https://goo.gl/photos/L2VAvosbzwxFxvXS9

Also my XC90 oil cooler has some fittings on it now... clearance doesn't much tighter than that.

Ui_jG59kNQiiR30DxI03hlaMqAwCe6sreojYXDEPCa_UmjjCLkTePeh8dnzGWlOvIrAsuSb5QBE5W13i2LjJRTcW5zmOzACkH4_ChhI1Qn7wtBYv_05zQXQzwlTjulnr10UQpILQ8TXz07tfvO_jfY-X9nUB781GroO0IQ5GySk7IZevUIqAyJUTN4BgGxY7y-KjHtRciUtfHciT8RXJpwhy4UKYQwmQxajrY33iuvJbbi1zHBta5-E2q8zkdYLZWei86UxsZFK5eLQUlW_wY_0MMr-R48VU2Rp_pdL1Yy_KWFnTdXuXrEmiTmrhUFdEfCvvDv50gOmvoUvLHz8Dzp_mtOQtClw-9Jaf4USit1nkodfg3mprilfMkQLb-V6OegVuKulzt5wlGj0SfOKCObzKEG9aVP2hnw5pbHl0jXxQGu8eGmflMNCFobGa0X7pdw-P01j1jzIvCtCOTVas5YpzqFjcTJDY3Wj02G_MjykQQi77Fo_TI-4iSbPtXmA0sDSTyhmFGzZEFGBcOxhyG21o7FCQNEpQd4t_XU5zpYNs=s768-no

IDdev9LzZB_jD_-YuLrPSQVajkkwdXrXnoOdZ1j8nnRao4VDjCtL4ZAEJNf7Ev00U8pI3zuh7G0HAemAav5zjC_Quz517RE1AeEO7niImfvCkuYi_rnaK3-VAocN6hRUJ08fMsRM1hXeqG3Dy5VZLJvENXAEkTaI2iVE8Zsy9hsWvyNMKa-bpkmsl1yiSJZTM2MGi-Nz_3mRj8N7ppQjLiFj7YFalTGMrxZOEYdhm4CDiWrT12-PeSsDWVj1PW4Jwx7DAjyI1ZoQqPYW9qdU6OcAvNFrPOm-oIuzRnxRDY1jdZSx4vgJGSedV9x6nI7TyfjX3s4HWWWRWikR3EsOGvYGC0SdPWFGs8mVd_ofNSjRV28cCloPXn0l3sPnWvyoUTlpDVxikX5RoNwxcG-TQR8on_W3XQxtPQg2AQyJvBpJE8-ocP7A39kIrVfNq4uEE8E2WS87FxxwVM_1YCVWiT5aWlCaqJFz10Sphfg4HxqSqcsc43vBMyLw4bfc4k03amfWfbg7jW7zj8ZsgZJ6tNhPiWd7goNsDq8DAoxDXdpt=s768-no

Last edited:
I did not, but here's a post earlier in the thread explaining that. Keep the 5 panels! I wish this still had them, personally.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=4923113&postcount=310

I spent quite a bit of time re-reading your thread to try and save you from a question I'm sure you get all the time, and I still skipped right over the answer. Whoops! Thansk for the patience and quick reply :cool: As far as the 5-panel vs. 6-panel discussion is concerned; I'm pretty torn. I'd love to have the more modern look of a 6-panel car with 50/50 lenses, but there is something very classic about the 5-panels. Problem is, mine are both lightly damaged and repaired, which I'm sure you know is not an inexpensive fix...

I look forward to seeing your "big plans" come to fruition, and I'm very interested in the updated dyno results should you ever find the car on rollers again. Good luck!

I spent quite a bit of time re-reading your thread to try and save you from a question I'm sure you get all the time, and I still skipped right over the answer. Whoops! Thansk for the patience and quick reply :cool: As far as the 5-panel vs. 6-panel discussion is concerned; I'm pretty torn. I'd love to have the more modern look of a 6-panel car with 50/50 lenses, but there is something very classic about the 5-panels. Problem is, mine are both lightly damaged and repaired, which I'm sure you know is not an inexpensive fix...

I look forward to seeing your "big plans" come to fruition, and I'm very interested in the updated dyno results should you ever find the car on rollers again. Good luck!

No worries--it can be a pain finding exactly where something was mentioned. I thought for a bit that it wasn't actually there after I struggled to find it quickly.

I definitely understand the cost concerns of replacing 5 panels... either will look good, the 5 panels just have that less-common "cool" factor.

6 panel circuit boards suck. Keep the 5 panels.

THISTHISTHISTHISTHIS

Never had an issue in 6 years of 5 panel ownership. Watched my buddy Troy struggle for years with his 6 panels, inherited the car, it's still not right -_- would 5-panel swap if it didn't involve welding. Also 86+ front and 5 panel rear would look weird. Personally, greyscale, seeing as your car is a single-round car, leave it 5-panel.

Thanks for the positive feedback Tom, I love your build and I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do if you manage to get it back on the rollers again.

Back