• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Desert Meet 2023 (August 11-13th)

volvo_cowgirl

MlUrV0S.jpeg

Hey all,

I've been wanting to do this for years and almost did it last year. I've had some folks ask me about it this year so I thought I'd post up and gauge interest.

I was a child when Western Meet was a thing, but I've heard the stories. I want to recreate something along those lines buuut in the desert.

Where in the desert? Rancho Volvo. It's my property in Nevada, 80 miles east of Reno. It's 10 acres and has a short, homemade dirt track (I call it sand-cross). Also, there's like 5000 acres of public land with tons of vehicle trails right behind my property, so you can go dick around back there too.

What would we do? Well..
1.) There's a legit drag strip down the street from my house called Top Gun. They do $30 open-to-the-public events where $30 gets you as many runs as you have time for in 6 hours. If it's not busy you can get in a ton of runs, my record is 42 runs (my 850 hates me). I would do this on a weekend they had one of these events.
2.) Dick around on my dirt track
3.) Shoot guns at the range behind my house
4.) Drink shitty beer and whiskey
5.) Play in the giant sandbox (my yard + the public land behind it)
6.) Go explore the nearby vehicle trails that don't require high clearance and visit the lake
7.) Have fun on the paved and/or gravel farm roads around my place
8.) Possibly visit the distillery across the highway that gives free tours on Saturdays
9.) Possibly invade the regular Sunday Cars and Coffee in Reno
10.) Whatever other outdoorsy things all y'all pent-up city dwellers need to get out of their systems.

Where is there to stay? Well, I have 10 acres; you can camp. I also have some basic RV hookups; power, water, and a place to dump tanks. Or, if you're fancy, there are motels in town about 20 mins away. If I know you, you ask nicely, and you're reasonably tidy I may also have a couch spot or guest bed or two available.

Is it gonna be hot? It'll be hot during the day and cold at night, but as long as you stay out of the direct sun, the heat isn't too bad. It's a really dry heat. Pop up shade structures make a world of difference.

When would it be? Either the weekend of August 12th or September 15th. Those are the two $30 drag strip weekends.

Could I bring my spouse/kids/dog? Spouses, absolutely! There are also other outdoorsy things to do in the area that don't have to do with guns/Volvos/booze if you want to bring your SO and they don't like Volvos. Great places to go hiking/biking/swimming, Lake Lahontan is relatively close, and of course it's Nevada, so, gambling and whatnot. I'd say no kids under 13, and keep in mind things might get pretty colorful, so exercise caution bringing your teenagers. Absolutely no dogs or other pets because I have farm animals and my neighbors do as well.

Pleasd post up here if you're interested! If I get enough interest I'll make it happen this year!

Obligatory photo of my favorite 240 out at Lake Lahontan a few years ago.

Jo

Jack’s boss here.
We’re interested! It sounds like fun.
I 1000% agree all on my own
Welcome Jack's boss! Glad you finally got your own login to e-stalk that guy. lol

Depending on when it is, my weekend schedule, etc., I may be able to make the drive. Might have a spare room for a mature adult attending from a distance....oh....wait...there ain't anyone mature that would attend this....myself included.

Be forewarned...your carpet will NEVER smell the same...Scotty had to burn that house down after WM2.0.

Also, due to the nature of this area, there is NO CVS within walk...er...stumbling distance.

August is most likely good, *edit: except for that being the most likely weekend for Jimbo Meet. Sept is out for me this year (mountain meet). If I retire at the end of the next school year, more dates will be good.
In other words, don't pick a date based on me.

Welcome Jack's boss! Glad you finally got your own login to e-stalk that guy. lol

Depending on when it is, my weekend schedule, etc., I may be able to make the drive. Might have a spare room for a mature adult attending from a distance....oh....wait...there ain't anyone mature that would attend this....myself included.

Be forewarned...your carpet will NEVER smell the same...Scotty had to burn that house down after WM2.0.

Also, due to the nature of this area, there is NO CVS within walk...er...stumbling distance.
Might be too far for you Gary, hope you can make it. 🤣

I do have a beer "cellar" (repurposed crawlspace) and it is quite full...if we manage to drink everything in the cellar I'll be impressed/thrilled because it means I can buy more beer.

Jack’s boss here.
We’re interested! It sounds like fun.
Agreed with Jimmy, best first TB post ever. Welcome!! ❤️❤️❤️

Stoked to see some interest! Got texts from a couple other local guys too that are intetested.

Could be a good way to shakedown the rally cars changes before I do another event 🤔
I was hoping to hear from you, this is probably the perfect spot for you. It's a giant sandbox out here. With a plethora of local big-truck-owning-rednecks who throughly enjoy recovering anyone who sends it too hard.
You may never want to go home.

100% YAS to this!
Would be a great trip for me as I'm now familiar with the route down from Seattle area.
Do you have a particular date range for this yet? - DUH, I should have read it all before asking:roll:

I was hoping to hear from you, this is probably the perfect spot for you. It's a giant sandbox out here. With a plethora of local big-truck-owning-rednecks who throughly enjoy recovering anyone who sends it too hard.
You may never want to go home.
It’s a bit different probably from the PNW roads I mostly want to stick with rallying on but it would be a good enough stress test for everything without worry about a high entry fee going out the window if it does break (just as long as I don’t dig in it an roll…)

All right y'all, it's going to be August 11-13th so as not to conflict with mtn. meet and so we can hit the drag strip on a Saturday rather than a Friday.

Hey modmins, can someone please change the thread title to show the date...pretty please? 😁

PM me for the address and to RSVP.

I'll post up a rough itinerary and some FAQs in a couple days!

Posting in an event thread.

A Volvo event that I don't have to take time off for, and I get to maybe sleep in my own bed? How can I say no to that?!
He's ALIVE!!!

I might be able to make it out there, should be a good time for sure. It's the weekend before Car Week here in Monterey, so I'll have to check my obligations. If I can cover the gas I can bring borrow a TRX for the weekend, but at 6mpg it's going to be an expensive road trip from Monterey. Maybe I'll see about something more efficient. I do miss the old WM, and what I was hosting before Scotty started the WM's in CA.

Back